Welcome to Serellan LLC

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SiR R.i.P.P.E.R.

Animation editing

20 posts in this topic

Hello there!

Will we be able to edit/replace/add skeletal animations in the game? Will there be a pipeline to do it?

As a modder, you should be able to do whatever you're able, to some extent. I don't think there'll be any issue creating and importing in your own animations, but nothing is really "plug and play" without consideration for code work.

Adding in custom animations will take code work to support those as well.

There's no real "editing" of animations unless you export the animation to .fbx and then edit it within your software and maintain the correct length of animation, bone names, etc.

Someone in the community may decide to make a pipeline to the easiest way to do this, as of now I don't have any plans / time to get something up regarding this.

Just as a heads up, before you get into making your own animations, make sure you fully understand the animtree, animset, hierarchies, and know whether or not code is setup to customize the animtree to get what you want. Even adding new animations can be tricky without an engineer.

That being said, good luck and have fun!

That being said, can we get access to some documentation? It would make things easier for us modders or potential modders out here.

I get your point Andy!

Off-topic, I hope that UDK's shader editor is included in TD editor, as it allows for some crazy things to be made.

From my understand (though I'm an artist not an engineer so don't quote me here), the editor you'd be using would be udk, so the material editor should be completely accessible to you.

Thanks. Well, I was referring to your guys' documentation for caveats and any non-standard stuff. I will get cracking at it!

Yeah, I don't really have much documentation on that. One of the things about being the only guy rigging / animating / implementing / blah blah blah (everything not environments that moves), I don't have to really have much documentation for myself since I already know :)

I'll see if I have an open day after we release to do a quick breakdown of character and weapon basics (import / export, materials, skeletal hierarchies, etc.) Maybe a little video or something to get you guys rolling after release.

Edited by Andy
4 people like this

Yeah, I don't really have much documentation on that. One of the things about being the only guy rigging / animating / implementing / blah blah blah (everything not environments that moves), I don't have to really have much documentation for myself since I already know :)

I'll see if I have an open day after we release to do a quick breakdown of character and weapon basics (import / export, materials, skeletal hierarchies, etc.) Maybe a little video or something to get you guys rolling after release.

Haha I see. Look forward to that!

Can't wait to get the game :), expect some takedown rigs from me after release, especially first person :)

Though i would like to know:

Who prefers maya or 3ds max? I can make rigs in both aplications so no worries.

Can't wait to get the game :), expect some takedown rigs from me after release, especially first person :)

Though i would like to know:

Who prefers maya or 3ds max? I can make rigs in both aplications so no worries.

Software application shouldn't make much of a difference (except sometimes smoothing data and tangent data gets lost between the two through .fbx). Our weapons and characters are a blend of zbrush / maya / max and I animate and rig in max. Bones will transfer between the two softwares, the control rig won't though. So if you're using Biped, like me, you'll want to keep everything in max once you've started rigging. I look forward to seeing your work!

Software application shouldn't make much of a difference (except sometimes smoothing data and tangent data gets lost between the two through .fbx). Our weapons and characters are a blend of zbrush / maya / max and I animate and rig in max. Bones will transfer between the two softwares, the control rig won't though. So if you're using Biped, like me, you'll want to keep everything in max once you've started rigging. I look forward to seeing your work!

Thanks, indeed the application itself does not matter that much, however personally i prefer maya because of the easy and fast way to create my own scripts/code for rig setup and animation especially because i can write everything in python ( FTW ).

In 3Ds Max i really got used to the CAT System, compared to the old Biped one it has much more stuff and is easier to setup.

Are you using the same rig for firstperson and thirdperson?

Edited by Highflex

Thanks, indeed the application itself does not matter that much, however personally i prefer maya because of the easy and fast way to create my own scripts/code for rig setup and animation especially because i can write everything in python ( FTW ).

In 3Ds Max i really got used to the CAT System, compared to the old Biped one it has much more stuff and is easier to setup.

Are you using the same rig for firstperson and thirdperson?

First person and Third person are separate rigs. Same scale / location as eachother, but with different bone hierarchy. Also, the weapon is rigged with the character in 1P, not in 3P.

Anychance we can get a copy of the takedown rig?

You can just use a 1P rig from the editor when it's released as a template. Same with the 3P rig.

Every (or most) 1P rig has differences, so there's not necessarily a template rig. For example, the M5 will have a strap bone for bounce animations, where the M4 doesn't. So each 1P rig is unique to itself. They all have the same hierarchy for the character's root up through the fingers, just the different weapons are where you start branching. You'll need to create new animations for each weapon to support it's movement. That can be done in it's own animset and as long as the animation names are the same as all the other weapons, it'll plug right into the animtree without extra modification.

Maybe a bit more info than you're asking, but hey, who doesn't like information?

More information is always good. All im really after is Reworking animations to be more authentic (walking runnin etc...) and the user interface. Having the original rigs would be most benificial.

More information is always good. All im really after is Reworking animations to be more authentic (walking runnin etc...) and the user interface. Having the original rigs would be most benificial.

For 3P animations (walking, running, etc.) you can just use the heavy armor character as your base and animate him. All other characters will accept animation data from the heavy armor character. He has one extra bone from his armor crotch plate, unreal will just ignore animation data for non existing bones on the mesh, which is why you'll need to animate with the character with the most bones.

Heads up for walk / run / crouch animations. The character is broken at the spine ( forget exactly which spine bone), so movement animations are all done on the lower half of the body and all upper body animations are separate, so animating the whole body will require plugging the animation sequence into both upper and lower body slots and need to sync appropriately and be playable across all weapon types. Easier said than done, but just a heads up for you.

For 3P animations (walking, running, etc.) you can just use the heavy armor character as your base and animate him. All other characters will accept animation data from the heavy armor character. He has one extra bone from his armor crotch plate, unreal will just ignore animation data for non existing bones on the mesh, which is why you'll need to animate with the character with the most bones.

Should be okay. I love animation. Thanks for the helping out. :)