Welcome to Serellan LLC

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Serellan

NEW TOOL LIVE! - Takedown Red Sabre Level Editor (beta)

35 posts in this topic

With approval from Epic Games, we have released a beta version of the Takedown Level Editor. Content includes all the environment assets, Killhouse maps, and HQ map (as reference to make your own TD maps, and hook up the game types/modes).

Due to time constraints, no official documentation is available yet. We'll do our best to answer questions and build documentation organically with the community. Anyone well versed in UDK/Unreal should be able find their way around just fine.

Please direct your questions / editor discussion to the new Forum: 
Level Editor Discussion 

Good luck! We can't wait to see the first community Killhouse map!

How to install: 

Filter Steam Library > Tools > Search Takedown > Install Takedown Red Sabre Level Editor (beta).
5 people like this

The Unreal editor can cook a build for XBOX that is how they got Takedown for live out there in the first place. However Microsoft have strict policies involving modding game as people often use them for exploits etc. So far there have been no modded or editable games on XBOX, so it is unlikely they will allow Serellan to post an editor for the XB version.

No Steam Workshop, Not sure if its coming but we are more then willing to host Maps over on Tactical Ape when maps finally start coming out.

Messing around with the editor, have re-imported textures from UDK into a package for use with Takedown and got a previous UDK Map Layout into the Editor though it does not appear to be as simple as putting in a "TDPlayerStart" and setting the world to "TDMissionGame".

Thought those settings would at least let me run around and make sure the scale is right but can't move at all.

Edit:

Ok, got it so I can run around, I've set the Gametype in World Properties to "TDMissionGame" then in Kismet had to setup "Level Loaded" connected to a "Start Match" I can now run around the level.

TD_KismetLevelStart.png

Edited by DarkSynopsis

Is it only the editor that is available or is the source scripts available for modding?

A very important step. Let's hope there are some talented people willing to work on some maps. And not only for adversarial but coop too.

Is it only the editor that is available or is the source scripts available for modding?

I don't believe so.

A very important step. Let's hope there are some talented people willing to work on some maps. And not only for adversarial but coop too.

Aiming towards co-op gameplay right now, not messed around with the editor much more, since you can't see Tangos and such when playing in the editor? Only tested with HQ not tried to work out how to add Tangos to a custom map as of yet.

I'm curious how the maps will go over to the main game, I tried just copying my saved map with player spawns over to the main game and using the console with the "open" command but the game just crashes, hopefully I'm just missing a step or else I don't really see how one would do some solid testing at this time.

Edited by DarkSynopsis

I don't believe so.

Aiming towards co-op gameplay right now, not messed around with the editor much more, since you can't see Tangos and such when playing in the editor? Only tested with HQ not tried to work out how to add Tangos to a custom map as of yet.

I'm curious how the maps will go over to the main game, I tried just copying my saved map with player spawns over to the main game and using the console with the "open" command but the game just crashes, hopefully I'm just missing a step or else I don't really see how one would do some solid testing at this time.

Don't use default game mode in the world properties.

Look at the Kismet script in TD04_HQ for how to sort game modes & load appropriate streaming levels (you need a gametype switch)

Then you can use a command line to open the map takedowngame.exe -TD04_Mymap?game=takedowngame.tdmissiongame

Later you can look in defaultgame.ini to see how to hook up your level into the menues (just add it to the .ini)

Tango Hunt & Bomb Disarm will automatically spawn guys at playerstarts.  Mission game uses kismet (see TD04_d_mission) to spawn guys when the level loads.

You will need to save the content and run it through the game to see enemies.

Not sure why I still had default game mode set I've changed that.

I imagine Gametype Switch is required but current map is hardly big enough to justify streaming, don't know much about Kismet still trying to wrap my head around what is going on.

Right now I've just loaded up a default map in the Editor with the Cube and added a TDPlayerStart, I would like to just try get the actual game to let me run around there in whatever mode right now and look into the random tango spawns and such later.

No need to "Cook" the map? Never put anything out for a Unreal Game so not sure, not that the Cook function is working anyway.

You can cook in UnrealFrontend, just bypass the script and prop step.  Cooked maps will appear here: /TakedownGame/CookedPC 

Should be able to just drop the maps into the shipping build to test with the game.  If you need to do a quick test in the editor build, add -seekfreeloading to run Takedowngame.exe with the cooked content.

TakedownGame.exe MapName?game=takedowngame.tdmissiongame -seekfreeloading

Well got the map running in the shipping build without cooking it, before the game was crashing due to me using custom textures once I took all textures out it loads up just fine.

I built a new package within the Takedown Editor and copied it to "CookedPC" folder in the Shipping Build but guess that did not work.

Also looks like the default UDK Skyboxes don't work in the shipping build despite showing up in the editor.

Edit:

Had a look at the TD04_tangohunt and looks like Tangos will spawn on "TDTeamPlayerStart" ? yet when I run the map I have 5 tangos spawn next to me at the "TDPlayerStart"

I've thrown in a static mesh and some textures from the game in, but once playing in the Shipping Build the mesh does not seem to appear and I get the default checkerboard no texture for everything in the map.

Edited by DarkSynopsis

If you are running Tango Hunt, take a look at the TD04 Tango Hunt level, and check the takedown property settings on the TDTeamPlayerstarts and TDPlayerstarts.

If there are not enough proper starts for them, they will attempt to spawn at any available playerstart. 

If you are running Tango Hunt, take a look at the TD04 Tango Hunt level, and check the takedown property settings on the TDTeamPlayerstarts and TDPlayerstarts.

If there are not enough proper starts for them, they will attempt to spawn at any available playerstart. 

I had a look there and believe I have the same settings, though I did only put one TDTeamPlayerStart to test it... There a certain number I need to reach for them not to spawn at the TDPlayerStart?

I had a look there and believe I have the same settings, though I did only put one TDTeamPlayerStart to test it... There a certain number I need to reach for them not to spawn at the TDPlayerStart?

I would place at least 30.

I would place at least 30.

Placed 30 and now no Tangos spawning at insertion points! Now just need to find out why meshes and textures not working and can at least get some Tango Hunt going atm ;)

Placed 30 and now no Tangos spawning at insertion points! Now just need to find out why meshes and textures not working and can at least get some Tango Hunt going atm ;)

Cool, let's move any further tech discussion to the modding forums. :)

Are you planning some contest for map makers? It could be fun ;)

We are definitely looking into this for once a few kinks are worked out and workshop is fully functional.

Provided 505 games continue supporting Takedown is there a chance that good quality maps made by the community will be ported to Xbox 360?

I understand you guys would need to look at texture size, streaming issues etc. As well as potential copyright issues with apparent custom models/textures.

Provided 505 games continue supporting Takedown is there a chance that good quality maps made by the community will be ported to Xbox 360?

I understand you guys would need to look at texture size, streaming issues etc. As well as potential copyright issues with apparent custom models/textures.

Not really, there is not a good backend for it, and the legal side of things would be murkey as well, because 505/Serellan would be distributing content, not the content creator.  Much easier on PC, and with a small team/budget it's not something that we can support on console, unfortunately.

1 person likes this

To add: Consoles can be a beast when it comes to UGC/Mod content porting. In addition to what Christian said about the legal issues (licensee/liscensor relationships and agreements over content, tools, labor,...), it requires developer resources to optimize, bug fix, and confirm its compatibility with the game and its subsystems, QA costs to test for issues and verify compliance with MSFT and Sony rules and requirements, fees to submit to MSFT and Sony for release etc. etc. Depending on the scope, it can cost dozens to hundreds of thousands of $$$ to port content to consoles.  While Workshop and Unreal are designed with strong functionality for UGC, consoles are not. Their infrastructure is actually strongly against UGC, and require significant (and often fiscally impractical) steps to prep.