Welcome to Serellan LLC

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Serellan

NEW TOOL LIVE! - Takedown Red Sabre Level Editor (beta)

35 posts in this topic

To add: Consoles can be a beast when it comes to UGC/Mod content porting. In addition to what Christian said about the legal issues (licensee/liscensor relationships and agreements over content, tools, labor,...), it requires developer resources to optimize, bug fix, and confirm its compatibility with the game and its subsystems, QA costs to test for issues and verify compliance with MSFT and Sony rules and requirements, fees to submit to MSFT and Sony for release etc. etc. Depending on the scope, it can cost dozens to hundreds of thousands of $$$ to port content to consoles.  While Workshop and Unreal are designed with strong functionality for UGC, consoles are not. Their infrastructure is actually strongly against UGC, and require significant (and often fiscally impractical) steps to prep.

This.

Epic managed it with UT3 on PS3, but not on 360 because the hard disk space wasn't there, as well as rights issues.

Still seems to be available, not used it in awhile since I never had much success getting a custom map working how I would like, got more use out of the editor when bringing some maps over to UE4 ;)

Never got custom assets working, CraftyReaper and Myself managed a quick Terror Hunt map working with the assets found within the editor but it seemed to break any multiplayer functionality when the map was installed, never did work out why :( was some sort of mismatch error even if we both had it.

Wow! nice custom map! It's a shame that you didn't got it properly working  :maybe:

You guys at Tactical Ape have experience modding this game. What would you recommend me to do? I really want to create some maps for TAKEDOWN, but I'm afraid that the lack of documentation and 'solid guidelines' on how to import things properly is making thing very difficult. Should I give up modding TAKEDOWN and start another project? or do you think it's still possible to make fully a functional level??

Edited by Carlos Florez

I can't recommend making any maps unless its just an experience you want, there is no documentation so its all trial and error, most you can do is open up HQ? I think that was the map that came with the editor and see how stuff was accomplished.

Don't believe the game is capable of reading custom assets or I just couldn't work it out even after talking with the devs, along with no luck getting Multiplayer working the best you are looking at is a Singleplayer experience using whatever assets the editor gives you.

Shame really, I had fun with the game and would have loved to bring some maps from older games over, maybe if I went the route of setting out to make a map with the given assets you could come up with something good but the quick map we put together for the video above had us run into so many issues that we wanted to wait for a more solid pipeline for custom content which never happened in the end :(

Hope EPSILON gets it mods tools out soon and can start looking into getting maps into that ;)

:ermm: It's really sad that even after talking with the devs, things didn't work out neither..... I'll do some tests and report back if maybe I find something useful, an almost hopeless idea but, I want to try as long as I play this game.

I would also try building something new with the Editor's assets. Do you know if these can be modified? for example change the texture on a set of walls.

:w00t: Sure I would like to check on EPSILON's mod tools as soon as they're out!! Maybe then will be a good time to let TAKEDOWN modding rest peacefully....

Edited by Carlos Florez

I want to share this screenshot, I think this may be something.... :hmm:

Screenshot.jpg

I managed to export a mesh from 3DS Max, and then import from the 'Content Browser' inside TAKEDOWN Level Editor, and finally placed it on the map. I haven't tried out textures yet, since my primary goal was to import the mesh and apply the collsion model.

I still don't know how to try a custom or modified level inside the game. Can anyone help? Maybe you DarkSynopsis? still around here?  :bounce:

Edited by Carlos Florez

Unsure if you can change a texture on a mesh and it still work in-game, I'm leaning towards No.

As for the Static Mesh its easy enough to import into the editor but getting it to appear in-game was  the problem, I believe Unreal normally needs a "Cooked" Package? which can be done with the UnrealFrontend.exe found in the Editors Binaries folder, hell I think you are meant to do this with the map itself also but can normally just drag the .umap file straight from the editor and run in-game.

Can't recall how to "Cook" and I believe that still didn't work, might be best looking at some other UE3 games to see how they do it, again I had no luck back when the game came out.