Welcome to Serellan LLC

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Serellan

What is Project Pi?

31 posts in this topic

[EDIT: We had planned to take a few more days to polish this page, but accidentally published the trailer on youtube due to bad UX on YT.]

In the TAKEDOWN postmortem video, I talked about a project that we prototyped (after TAKEDOWN) in Unreal3 for a major publisher, as part of our plan to move forward and continue to support TAKEDOWN.  After that publisher pulled out, we explored different avenues, and considered early access as a backup option since we already had a Steam APPID for it.  We decided to hold on the early access model because new engine tech (Unreal4) was on the way, and the early prototype didn't fully contain the features we felt would fully demonstrate it's scope, and we had to dedicate the majority of our resources to TAKEDOWN patches. As of right now we have a playable SP prototype in Unreal 3 that demonstrates the art style, a vertical slice of basic gameplay, a small numbers of different enemy AI, and a sample of tools for the player.

[Example of our Unpublished Pi Early Access Page]

EA.jpg

Since I posted up the TD Postmortem, many of you have asked what this project was, so we thought we would show you a taste of what it is. We are now prototyping on a different unannounced title in Unreal4, but would love to hear your honest feedback on this concept.  Maybe we’ll dig it up again down the road.  

We want to make games that you, the community, want to play.  So moving forward, we want to continue on our track of “No BS development’”, and remain as transparent as possible with you.

Prototype Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjEYQsP9eCc

What is Pi?

Pi (Project Independence)

Co-op, Non-Linear, Hybrid FPS that marries tower defense and FPS elements together with a short & long reward loop.  

Back Story

In the year 3141, the humans disappeared.  Hundreds of years later, you awake.  You are a "S.A.M.", a Semi Autonomous Mechanoid.  But you are different than the others, you are self-aware. The planetary A.I. recognizes this, and seeks to eliminate this "aberration" in the system.  Fight to stay alive, to upgrade yourself, and to learn the truth of what happened to the human race.

Gameplay

Pi provides a unique Co-Op Shooter experience, utilizing non-linear spaces to provide a range of tactical options for up to 8 players.  Players capture and defend “quantum control points”, earning resource points to upgrade their uplink capability (levels) and gain parts for crafting S.A.M. upgrades, which they can share with their friends to affect core gameplay.

Visuals

Clean, Modern, Bold.  Edge Detecting material effect layered into global post-process chain with bloom, DOF, ambient occlusion.

Screenshots & Concepts

Outside.jpg

environment7.jpg

environment3.jpg

environment5.jpg

environment1.jpg

environment4.jpg

environment6.jpg

Sam.jpg

SamBlack.jpg

tubE.jpg

MK2.jpg

Turret.jpg

Boomer.jpg

Tools.jpg

Health.jpg

16 people like this

I'd have played it, although I think Epic have something on the way that would pretty much crush it.

//edit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortnite

//edit https://www.fortnite.com/ 

okay so not exactly the same style but it'll be the audience you're after.

Epic can crush anything we can do.  Take any budget we can do and multiply it by 1000.

I like it, I have a lot of gaming friends on PC and console and this year I've noticed a big shift, they're after unrestricted co-op games and the one success I immediately thought of after watching the video was plant versus zombies. The shooting mechanics were rubbish but the gameplay was fun and the game successful. Your prototype seemed to capture all the good elements of pvz.

In an early prototype video it's hard to get the full mechanics of the game but it seemed you had the right ingredients: tower defence elements, co-op and your short and long reward loop. I like the idea of upgradability but I'd also like the idea of 'loot'. Loot can make such a difference.

Regarding Epic, it's not that they can throw piles of cash and people at a project like yours. It's that in this case they actively are, and are moving quickly to a release. Wasn't trying to be insulting.

I must say, this is rather out of left field. The map designs looks like they carry on Takedown's very clean aesthetic, which is a nice thing, but the sci-fi setting helps to push it even farther. It's very Designer's Republic, and I absolutely love that sort of art style. An upgrade system also sounds like a good motivator for the map control gameplay.

However, "tower defense" sounds scary to me. I really hate tower defense games. Assassin's Creed: Revelations had a truly awful one that was an absolute pain to play and did much to bring down the overall experience in my eyes. If it's something more like the sequence in Half-Life 2 where Gordon had to hold off waves of combine with reprogrammed turrets, or the Episode Two antlion tunnels setpiece, then I could see this working well. 

Hopefully the sci-fi angle will help push the weapon arsenal in a new direction- Titanfall didn't go far enough with their sci fi elements, so going for a more varied arsenal of weaponry would be a good way to mix things up. I also see what appears to be the ability to place laser walls to make your own cover, which could be really cool. Hoping to see fleshed out single player along with the co-op game.

1 person likes this

I completely agree with the map design carrying on from TDRS and this is a big plus. I'd just like to see everything fully playable in co-op.

This looks cool,

What do we need to do to keep the ball rolling? It would be cool if we could have a look at the SP version that you have, Would you be willing to let us try it for a limited time?

1 person likes this

Not feeling it this time, to be honest. A shooter has to do something really special these days to spark my interest and defending hot spots in an open environment doesn't really do it for me. Also it's a bit too colorful for my taste. But i'll follow the project and see how i can support it if you choose to go with it from this point forward.

Edited by XJ13

Pretty visuals. Looking forward to seeing more from this.

Impressions from the video: Visual style good. Gameplay too generic.

Needs something special to make it stand out from the crowd.

I really like the visual aesthetic!  Very bright and vibrant with some interesting robot designs. I particularly like the screenshots that present that office with that dominant green and white color scheme...might be interesting to introduce more red to compliment the green like replacing the orange highlights (screens, monitors, etc.) with red ones.  It is pretty promising though to see other play styles attempted besides the tactical shooter stuff.  Very neat. 

"FPS that marries tower defense and FPS elements together"

Gameplay Goal and the general look of the game kinda reminds me of Sanctum.

I notice that middle screen timer makes it return...

I <3 PIE!

Sorry I had to... :)

One of the aspects of TD I admired was the bold color pallet.  Still sticking to a realistic setting but NOT using the typical grunge brown or blue filter over everything.  The art style of PI appears to aim for this same bold approach.  I like the idea of adding some pop and color without getting too psychedelic acid trippy. (<-- I trademark this for all future use).

The futuristic weapon mechanics can lend itself to unique and interesting ideas.  From what I see I they are energy based weapons based on ballistic mechanics.

Since this is a prototype, what will be some of the goals in the weapon types? Are you aspiring to be super creative like insomniac does with their weapons or will you focus on purpose built weapons that through technology have organically advanced? (nothing without reason or purpose)

The one thing about the gameplay I can critique is the brightness and laser splosions (pew pew pew) Too much can be overwhelming. When the brightness blocks all the detail and you can't see your environment or HUD it can be frustrating to a user.  I would like it if that were toned down a bit.  Finding contrasting colors that aid the HUD with the environment and the splosions would be a natural engineered solution to benefit a user.

Rock on, Go nuts!

Edited by NO_FEAR

It could be fun if each level is different enough. Could be worth a try. TBH I'd more like to see a new game based on an evolution of Takedown. Maybe without the unlovable PMCs and a story this time.

I really liked what I saw and read. The 8 player co-op, visual style and setting of the game are definitely on the right track in my opinion. Everything looks extremely unique for a shooter, don't think there is anything quite like this on the market. Perhaps you could strike gold, who knows? I say go for it you guys are Serellan are passionate about it.

It could be fun if each level is different enough. Could be worth a try. TBH I'd more like to see a new game based on an evolution of Takedown. Maybe without the unlovable PMCs and a story this time.

I hope we see an evolution of TDRS in the future too.

If PI or something similar helps to fund a future return to an evolved TDRS game then I am all for supporting it.

I came to these forums for TDRS as a return to the old school R6 purity is something which has been missing from my PC for a long time. I think that the way forward is for Serellan to develop and build something new and unique, gain funding through development rather than venture capitalists or external publishers who might then be in a position to force hands.

It would be great if this could be done through Steam early access, yes there will be a lot of people that will have issues but there will equally be a lot of us that will support and buy the game.

PI could be a great project and just the stepping stone that we all want with regard to Serellan accessing the funds to support or re design TDRS in the future.

Just wondering if you guys had spent much time on Destiny Co-op, specifically Strikes? Im not a sci-fi shooter fan but Destiny is brilliant in co-op. The story was crap, the adversarial is HALO Lite but the co-op is addictive as hell. Yes it's repetitive but the gameplay is so tight and fun that it makes it immensely enjoyable especially when you are playing with people and going for a more challenging level to unlock your Legendary and Exotic gear.

6 people like this

Need rail guns!

It's a cool looking project, and I will buy it and play it and love it.

1 person likes this

Like Paladin said I'd also want to see a new game based on Takedown rather than futuristic, tactical, no military shooter but If you guys stick with future world then I would love to see something similar to Star Wars: Republic Commando setting but with deep tactical gameplay instead of this project. The soldiers doesn't need to be a humans, they can be also a robots.

SW:Republic Commando trailer: youtube.com/?#/watch?v=rsH8LAb-5qQ

This project Pi visually looks okay, nice and clean levels but the gameplay looks average and by this teaser I am not too excited as I was when first time saw takedown red sabre teaser. I did not expect futuristic setting though. This game reminds me a bit of halo, unreal tournament after watching this. I don't know... only gadgets kept my interest so far. How they will works with this fast paced gameplay?

Edited by Jaruto

Just wondering if you guys had spent much time on Destiny Co-op, specifically Strikes? 

If you like coop, you need to do the raid :)

Just so you know I will push for rail guns ad nauseum until it happens :)