Welcome to Serellan LLC

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Serellan

Story Elements...

13 posts in this topic

What is this a picture of? It sure isn't MARPAT...

Edited by k3nny1550

So a neo-nazi political party? I think perhaps making our own unique villainous group would be a more interesting task. Not that the neo-nazis couldn't be a flashpoint in the plan, but someone behind them would make for a more interesting narrative. R6 had ecoterrorism as it's big driving mechanic, so we should think outside the box.

Side note: I particularly liked the book "Term Limits" by Vince Flynn, as it had homegrown terrorists who assassinated politicians and threatened other such actions if the US government didn't set aside partisan politics and pass a balanced budget amendment and term limits for all of Congress. Something morally ambiguous in that way for the Epsilon villains would be an interesting narrative wrinkle, in my humble opinion. (Admittedly, the original Rainbow Six: Patriots trailers seemed to lean in this direction, it was one of the things I liked about them.)

Edited by k3nny1550

2022. Ukraine is still split in two with Russian backed forces still in control of much of Eastern Ukraine. A new Cold War has emerged. Tensions between Nato and Russia are balanced on a knife edge.

Ukrainian ultra nationalists believe that the only way to get back Eastern Russia is for NATO to go to war with Russia. To encourage this, covert terrorist forces hit financial targets on US, EU and Russian soil. This is followed by attacks on Military targets in Estonia and seemingly reprisal attacks on Estonia Russians. Every action ramps up the tensions and draws both sides closer to all out war.

Usual stuff.

Why we need go into additional Russia conflict again for FPS game? Man... I'm sick of tired with Russia war... too often been exploited to the limit.

Edited by Jaruto

The conflict isn't with Russia. Only the potential of future conflict.

Any conflict in the game is against the Ukrainian fascists. As Eplison is a CQB squad, the idea would be dealing with EMP bombs in Wall Street, Dirty bombs in the port of Rotterdam, hostage taking in Vilnius. Basically using the premise of Sum of All Fears to produce plausible scenarios for CBQ action.

Morally ambiguous can definitely make for some interesting scenarios. One of the biggest regressions of Far Cry 3 was in my opinion the background dialogue of the enemy pirates. In Far Cry 2 you'd have some mercs talking about how they were forced to do this, or how they were paying for their kids, or they just found out that they'd be fathers etc. in grossly exaggerated Afrikaaner accents. Plus, recreating that scene in Full Metal Jacket with the SVD, remembering that they were just like you but on the wrong side made for a far more interesting and immersive game.

Far Cry 3's background dialogue could easily be summarized as "Oh damn that Jason Brody! I enjoy killing innocents because I am bad guy!"

Anyways, here's an idea: having no choice but to engage the local SWAT/military team due to a misunderstanding/difference in agenda would make for some interesting scenarios. Imagine being in a 3-way firefight between an international criminal's cartel (or whatever international variant you prefer) and a SWAT team unaware of your presence. ######storm incoming.

But please don't make it too morally ambiguous, I don't particularly want to recreate the Waco siege or have morality shoved in my face for actions in game ("Do you feel like a hero", Spec Ops: The Line?).

Got it. This scenario could work even if conflict Russia & Ukraine is on time.

Edited by Jaruto

But please don't make it too morally ambiguous, I don't particularly want to recreate the Waco siege or have morality shoved in my face for actions in game ("Do you feel like a hero", Spec Ops: The Line?).

See that's the concern I have.  I never warmed up to the theme of Rainbow Six: Patriots back when they released a proof of concept video, where hostages with bombs strapped to them are tossed off a bridge to safely kill themselves, and cops are shot in the leg to prevent them from killing the bomber and setting off the explosive.  It's one thing to pull off a scenario where you feel conflicted in how you can neutralize the threats, but it's another where it ends up being over-the-top and cheesy.  That kind of "tryhard" writing seems overdramatic to me.  It'll be difficult to make it look like something we can take seriously, without accidently pulling off something that looks like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, or Battlefield 4 (specifically 4).  Doing a balance between Spec Ops: The Line (overly serious) and Call of Duty (tryhard and silly) actually sounds rather challenging, and I wonder if it's worth the attempt.

However, I do agree that it would be nice to see scenarios where Epsilon is stuck between a rock and a hard place because of differing perspectives in achieving the same goal.  I just don't know how I can picture myself sneaking away from SWAT (or notifying them without getting caught in friendly fire) without looking like a level in Call of Duty.

Edited by K-16

Another route is make it lighthearted a la Battlefield Bad Company. I'm pretty sure there will be opposition to this.

Neo nazis in America? Ambitious plot. I could dig it. Dig deep into the Angst of common Americans. It could be a really great story. Have some old disgruntled Vietnam SF types directing the attacks and young punks carying it out.

FBI style bug placements, hrt, and counter terrorism raids.

I like the idea of a known front i.e Neo Nazi or other supremacist group with a darker more secretive group or individual behind them, the story for R6 in the book was very good and I see no reason that a similar story wouldn't work here.

The idea of fighting an enemy which you know and can see, only to find out half way through the story that you are in fact fighting a completely different war and have as yet only seen the fall guys has a lot to offer and also gives ground for future installments of the game.