Welcome to Serellan LLC

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Serellan

First Screenshots and Interview

38 posts in this topic

Looks good so far - can't wait to see that gameplay video!

Indeed the gameplay reveal will be great!

Edited by Sanchez

Art direction is tight, the screenshots look great.

I really like the emphasis on tools. Sounds like you'll have a lot of options when tackling missions.

Also, the fact that this one will have an actual story (single player hooray!) with actual characters intrigues me. For Takedown i thought it would have been cool to have a dynamic plot that is dependent on your performance on missions (or maybe even on what missions you take) and on which team members live and which die. That's a bit ambitious but i like plots that take advantage of the interactive nature of the medium in that way.

Also, pre mission planning! *gasp*

Definitely looking forward to more infos.

Edited by XJ13

That is some awesome art design based on that screenshot.  Definitely intriguing!

Looks cool. Depends how crazy you will go with that conspiracy stuff, it's easy to overdo it and then it sounds silly.

But I like the fact it will have some campaign. I actualy think Takedown would have benefited from campaign structure of missions with them being locked until you progress through previous ones. It may seem arbitrarily restrictive, but it gives player some incentive to finish the mission. If you can do everything from the beginning, you just try all the missions few times, if you succeed, there isn't any kind of reward, if you fail, you just try the next one anyway...We are weird creatures, and this kind of "meta game" is actualy quite powerful tool to make a game somewhat interesting...

btw: I hope controlling the AI partners won't be restricted to direct control. That one is pain in the *** if you want them to do something simultaneously. I would prefer SWAT4 style contextual commands system. 

Edited by USER47

Great screenshot. Hope this makes it to xbox one. With the greater AI and dedicated planning phase it would be great to see your plan play out cinematically without direct control if thats possible.

1 person likes this

Looks very pretty! You're on to a winner with that art style. You've won me over as a sceptic as far as that's concerned. Glad to hear UE4 has been friendlier to work with as well.

Now this seems really nice, I love how you kept all the nice colors Takedown had and are adding all the nice stuff that was missing. I really hope you guys have more time and less misfortune this time around. Get hype everyone!

artworks-000038327358-zrs7jo-crop.jpg

And thanks for not giving up!

That first screenshot, DAMN.

I thought for sure that was concept art for a second. Then I blew up the image and realized THAT IS REAL TIME. Wondering what the teammate on the right is doing pointing his gun at the ceiling, but I'm assuming this also means there are breach-specific animations? If so, SWEEEEEET.

Also super stoked to hear about mission planning and LTL options. (Will choosing LTL options impact the story?)

"It’s gonna focus more on thorough planning. There’s going to be a dedicated planning phase, and co-op partners can share their plans, and revise them on the fly. This is a great feature because in other games with this option, you run into the problem where you have a plan and then it fails. Instead of restarting and completely revising the plan you had originally, in Epsilon, you can change it as you go."

So, does the UI have more of a Payday 2 feel for drawing arrows on a map and putting nodes in the map for supplies or grenade points, or is it more like the traditional Rogue Spear style of waypoint and go-code based fireteam plans?

EDIT: "Yes, it will. It's already in in basic form and functioning, one big difference is that in addition to placing waypoints, etc, you can access security cameras and tag enemies so you can figure out their patrol routes, etc."

^ YES YES YES THIS SOUNDS ING AWESOME GO TEAM

Also, how many teams can we make, and how many operatives can we field on a given map? Will the team sizes vary based on the scenario?

*looks at screenshot* I'm seeing color-coded red, blue, and green teammates. So is there only three possible teams? Or can we split into four?

Edited by k3nny1550
3 people like this

Great screenshot. Hope this makes it to xbox one. With the greater AI and dedicated planning phase it would be great to see your plan play out cinematically without direct control if thats possible.

I hope so as well! That was my absolute favorite part regarding Raven Shield. I loved making plans and then just watching the AI perform it.

2 people like this

Having a tactical management version of the game would be very cool. On a different note with Epsilon support VR ?

I wonder what Unipol stand for? I know that Interpol stands for International Police or something like that.

Anyways, I love the concept art and prototypes so far. I love the approach to the story development and design. The graphic novel angle is really great, and I do think that this would get a lot of fans. This is an awesome direction, and this is a right direction.

Christian mentioned in an interview that Unipol stands for "Oh crap Interpol is Trademarked".

1 person likes this

I appreciate your interviews where they're down to Earth, and not PR controlled.  Name dropping, highlighting other games, and crediting to specific people on-staff feels more refreshing than having PR focusing solely on the game and nothing else.  Riskier in terms of keeping reputation intact, but it's more refreshing and open to me.  Kind of reminds me of when Cliff Bleszinski does interviews back when he was with Epic Games, or when VALVe did interviews period (excluding the ones by Doug Lombardi, because he's doing his job as PR in protecting VALVe).

Anyways, back to the game:

Craig Gilmore, who’s doing our story art for us, is going to be handling our cinematics. Cinematics will play out in sort of a Max Payne kinda way, with that graphic novel style.

Sweet!  That's new for a tactical shooter.  Most do flashes, computer windows popping up with photos and profiles, and somebody talking about how war does/doesn't change.  I like this change.  It'll make people notice it's not another tactical shooter to toss into the pile of other tactical shooters.  That said, I wonder if there are consequences for the next mission if a teammate dies?  Considering the story's been set and characters have to be in the graphic novel cinematic alive to continue the story, does this mean death is temporary as long as one unit survives and completes the mission?  Unless you're telling me Craig drew a bajillion possible combinations...  Which is asking too much.

It’s gonna focus more on thorough planning. There’s going to be a dedicated planning phase, and co-op partners can share their plans, and revise them on the fly. This is a great feature because in other games with this option, you run into the problem where you have a plan and then it fails. Instead of restarting and completely revising the plan you had originally, in Epsilon, you can change it as you go.

Huh...  Why didn't Rainbow Six have this a long time ago?  Or does Siege have it now?  I don't remember if you can do revisions on the fly in Siege.  Also co-op as in online, with or without splitscreen support, or LAN only?  Because I can't imagine matchmaking/networking is fun to work with.

(From Reddit AmA) It's already in in basic form and functioning, one big difference is that in addition to placing waypoints, etc, you can access security cameras and tag enemies so you can figure out their patrol routes, etc.

I'm going to continue k3nny1550's excitement and extend that scream to (hmm...  Better be careful not to break any forum rules here...)

"YESSSSSS!  GREAT IDEA!  EVEN WHEN ENEMIES AREN'T SEEN ON CAMERA, WE KNOW WHICH AREAS ARE SAFE AT LEAST!  IT WORKS BOTH WAYS WHETHER YOU CAN TAG OR NOT!  YESSSSSS!  SOMEBODY EXTEND THIS EXCITE...(uh oh, too many caps)...ment!  It's exactly what I wanted!  And waypoints!  We get waypoints!  YEEE(whoops caps again)eeeah!"

Funny how I never thought about how this could apply to tactical shooters, when I saw a variation of it on MGS 5: Ground Zeros (binocular tagging I think).  And seriously, somebody continue this celebration please.  k3nny1550 and I didn't scream without reason.  (Also we want Christian and Terry to do a Hot Pepper Gaming Fire Sale.  We didn't forget.  So when it launches, you're doing it whether you like it or not...  Unless there's a health issue with hot peppers.  I mean, Christian did get exposed to chemical weapons during his service in the military, which by the way, I'm sorry to hear that and thank you for your service, and try to imagine me saluting you.  No wonder Adam Baldwin called you Senpai.  Nothing but respect for those who serve the military.  Not something anybody would want to do.)

What we want to do, ideally, is release a polished core game, and then expand upon it. So instead of releasing a half-finished experience, we’re releasing what is essentially the full game, and then we’ll add stuff like gadgets, maps, and weapons as we develop them. We’re also trying to make a game where going non-lethal is a legitimate strategy. We’ve already got tasers, smoke and gas grenades, EM chaff grenades, etc. It’s hard to balance because not a lot of people are going to play that way, but I still want to include the option.

Yes on everything!  I'm one of two people in my group of friends who does non-lethal in SWAT 4, because we want the challenge of stopping the threat, rather than eliminating people.  Heck, the TV show Flashpoint would be meaningless if it's all about good guys shooting bad guys.  I mean, what is a bad guy really?  And it appears Epsilon's storyline will make us question that as well (because apparently Christian loves to "punish us" storyline-wise).  Sweeeeeeet!

I could keep quoting, but my message is long enough and I have work to do.  I do appreciate the honesty behind AI and how it won't be perfect.  I've read too many interviews that try to assure us otherwise.  Heck we learned about doors too, and how an illusion can be created to make it work, which is also appreciated.  I'll admit giving us control of the AI may be the necessary evil, even when I want the AI to be killing machines (and making the game far too easy).

One last thing before I go, I understand the return of the snowman reference, but WHERE ARE MY BEARS?!  WHERE'S MY PREDATOR DRONE?!  I want to deploy Predator to run around and finish my missions for me!  It'll go invisible and then wreck everything in minutes!  Or is that exclusive to Netherealm Studios and Mortal Kombat?  C'mon!  Gimme gimme!

Edited by K-16

Okay, after of excitement with what I read on interview, I want to tell what I think so far.

First off: If you want include tagging enemies do not make them visible through the wall. I know this game will be less hardcore but cmon... ^^ When we tagging objectives or enemies they should not be visible through the walls, only at the radar/map but don't show on which floor they are located, and make tagging system optional so I don't need force myself to doing this if I don't want to. Do not go into MGS: Phantom Pain binocular tagging system. I don't like this cheap stuff in games because when you zoom they automatically tagging and Snake or whoever it is can see them through walls, like... really?

The second: I'm really glad Non-lethal option is back! I have an idea that when you do all missions in non-lethal way there should be the second ending cutscene to show consequences from different perspective. Ah! lovely choices.

The third one: I am not sure about this device that can see through walls. Maybe this device should show some infomations about how many enemies are behind the doors and how they armed and that's pretty much it or if you really want to hold this idea make this device unlockable after complete Single Player/Coop story mode only? Just a thought.

I can't wait to see this expanded planning phase in action. It sounds like awesome idea. Can't wait for that, and story line intrigued me. Just make sure that all characters are enough deep, to make us care about and I'll be happy : )

I'm waiting and hungred for more info in the future  :coolspeak:

Edited by Jaruto
2 people like this

Great feedback Jaruto.  Will keep it in mind, more info as features progress.  Right now see guys through walls and tagging them on the map are seperate features, the view mode allows you to see guys through walls unless they have a jammer, in which they are invisible in the mode as a form of balance.  Tagged guys through the sec camera will show up on the map IF they are in view of a security camera (although at this moment, I had to disable it because checking LOS with all of the guys and all of the security cameras was a huge perf hit, Gorge has to implement a cheaper way of checking LOS, which we've already implemented for the remote sniper feature).

Oh, did I just mention another feature?

silly-me.jpeg

2 people like this

A remote sniper rifle? Cool idea, I like it! It can brings more tactical possibilities to the gameplay like putting on a hill. Such a weapon could have a motion detection sensor that would notify the team of the impending move and switch at any time to the device to remotely control it, or select one individual target and with a single button to perform firing shots action (without slowmo ######) by synchronizing movements with your team. You could switch also between non-lethal bullets or lethal. Man, fantasy borne me: D 

Edited by Jaruto
1 person likes this

Oh yeah!  I totally forgot we had a discussion about heartbeat sensors and the balance issues behind it!  Dang it, I wanted to include that in my previous post!

http://www.serellan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3913-hitler-does-siege-takedown-gets-honourable-mention/#entry65840

XJ13 has good points on heartbeat sensors, and bullet penetration through walls.  It feels weird how I inadvertently second-guessed that jammers can be used to counter the "wallhack" gadget.

Select one individual target and with a single button to perform firing shots action by synchronizing movements with your team. You could switch also between non-lethal bullets or lethal. Man, fantasy borne me: D

Non-lethal takedown through sniping, flash and breach from multiple entry points, and clear the area through a perfectly executed pincer plan that happened all in the course of 5 seconds.  Then finish off with a cigar hanging out the corner of your mouth, as you grin and utter, "I love it when a plan comes together."  Sigh, I can dream.

Damn remote sniping suddenly reminds me of SWAT 4, except with proper context as to why the player is controlling the sniping and not "mind-control" like what Irrational Games had.  Also involves technology that isn't Sci-Fi, so I love it.

Oh and by the way, by co-op do you mean online, LAN-only, and with or without splitscreen support?

Also Jorge, thank you for taking this project on!  Make Christian's design a reality, and show the world the REAL potential of Unreal Engine 4!  I look forward to seeing Serellan's true potential when they own their own IP.  Also, I HATE THIS KEYBOARD FOR AUTOCORRECTING JORGE TO GORGE!  IT'S JORGE KEYBOARD GET IT RIGHT!  Anyways, make this game happen without cutting features Jorge.  Please please please.  Also get me a bear and a Predator drone.  Christian's orders.  I'm just relaying his orders.  I know you don't read the forums, and I know Christian's shrugging with a raised eyebrow as to what I'm talking about, but just make it happen because he totally said so.  Deane and Jorge, make bear and Predator drones.  Watch Predator the movie, and Christian's run-in with a bear for reference.  Anyways, back to work for me.  I'm getting too excited and shouldn't stay here any longer.

Edited by K-16

I have no idea how Jorge spells his name. But he codes the ###### out of things. Today was AI noise events (i.e. Then hearing a breaching charge)

1 person likes this