Welcome to Serellan LLC

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom

SWAT 3 & 4 Gold on GoG!

6 posts in this topic

Alright lads, take a look at this gem - https://www.gog.com/game/swat_4_gold_edition

Always loved Rainbow Six and Swat 3, so I'm so excited to play this. Hopefully it'll perk up interest in the genre.

I think it's time to squad up and bask in the golden light of classic tactical shooters!

1 person likes this

Good catch!  I've been wondering why it hasn't been on Steam, but I do have GoG (Galaxy too) so I'm okay with this!  I also have the entire Police Quest series along with Police Quest: SWAT.

Fun fact - Takedown: Red Sabre received a lot of criticism for a lack of a pre-planning phase, and yet the features of the pre-planning phase are actually very similar to SWAT 4.  While you can't pick out your loadout for your teammates (you select which teammates and their individually preset loadouts go with you), you do get a video showing the entire mission layout.  Something SWAT 4 doesn't have, as they only have Sonny Bond's (Police Quest!) voiceover along with a 2D blueprint that is honestly just a simple picture that you can sort of zoom in.  Some of them are a literal scribble on a notepad.

I love this game because of its non-lethal options and unpredictable AI (fake surrenders, drug disposals, and hostages going vigilante), but I hated the client-side physics.  If you and your friends desync on multiplayer (LAN too from my experience), then it'll be close to impossible to collect evidence for one or more players.  Only the player with the correct information on their client will be able to easily collect it.  For instance, if a gun was dropped on a table and it bounced off, then there's a slight chance that it will land on two different spots on the floor.  If the correct info isn't sent to me, and went to my friend instead, then I won't get the prompt to pick it up even when looking right at the gun on my screen.  I'd need to be guided by my friend on where they see it as I pick up an invisible item.  Sometimes even that doesn't work (not sure why since theoretically one person has the "true location"), and becomes irritating when the player with the correct info is dead.  I've always hated that, and hated Ken Levine for using client-side physics for evidence.

But damn it, I'll keep playing it!  And I'm glad the Stetchkov Syndicate expansion pack includes the ability to punch.  I thought relying on a stinger grenade to force an uncooperative civilian to surrender, because all your other weapons happen to be lethal is the dumbest thing ever.  Yeah yeah I forgot to pack a taser and went mostly lethal.  I COULD shoot the civilian in the leg, but...  Why is that and a grenade my only options?

Yeah, I think it's been in licensing limbo all this time. So glad to finally grab it!

I did think it was a bit odd that people moaned about that. Though I do adore the pre-planning in Rainbow Six, so it was so welcome in Epsilon.

The non-lethal approach and opponent AI is delightful. I can't get enough of this game lately. I especially love it when civilians get all angry or stubborn, so I get to use my pepper spray. It can be hilarious. Haven't got around to playing multiplayer or Stetchkov yet though. I'm a bit of a completionist.

Also very interesting regarding the Police Quest voice actor being in SWAT. Today I learned!

Oh right, Sierra/Vivendi/Irrational Games and their licensing troubles...  Good point.

I loved the pre-planning in Rainbox Six for select games that actually used the map.  Especially when they offered the 2D/3D map view for waypointing.  THAT was cool!  Even the N64 version offered waypointing.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about the pepper spray, geez how did I forget that?!  Would've been so much more practical than dropping a stinger grenade just to get people to listen to me!

Also Sonny Bonds never had a voice, since the Police Quest series didn't have voice acting (wasn't a common feature back in those days), but he's in SWAT as a direct reference to SWAT being the spin-off of Police Quest, and later became its own series.  Sonny Bonds is the main character you play in the Police Quest series.  So I think SWAT 4 is the first time Sonny Bonds gets a voice actor to portray him.  Apparently Sonny is also a playable character in SWAT 2, and Sonny's wife Marie talks about him in SWAT 3.  And Marie?  A direct reference to Sweet Cheeks Marie (I didn't make this name up I swear) who is a prostitute and love interest to Sonny Bonds in Police Quest 1.  Apparently SWAT games have a tradition of referencing Police Quest for the fun of it.  I dunno.  Here's another piece of trivia.  Ever wonder why the support snipers in SWAT are codenamed the way they are?  I imagine you do know.  But I thought it was a neat reference anyway.

Last piece of trivia for the road: Irrational Games almost made a Left 4 Dead like game as a modded sequel to SWAT 4 too, but the publisher said nope because zombies are not tactical and it's stupid.  Then Left 4 Dead came out and kicked butt.  Funny how publishers don't know everything.

Edited by K-16
Why am I editing in so much trivia? Sheesh I have work to do...
1 person likes this

Ohhh right. That's great! I suppose if they're the original developers it would make sense to have some major easter eggs for fans. Haha

Yeah Sierra 1&2 was a nice little nod to the developers. I often wonder if some of the npc's are named after staff. I know I'd put myself in the game.

It's strange to think that Left 4 Dead sparked a massive surge in zombie survival games. It's always been a great premise that seemed largely untapped until L4D and Dayzmod came along. The only ones I can think of before that are the old Resident Evil games, before zombies started wielding guns.

1 person likes this

I agree!  Those publishers and executives lost out to a potentially huge market, by saying no to a zombie game using the SWAT 4 engine.  As for zombies wielding guns?  Doom.  Those soldiers were space marines that ended up killed and reanimated as zombies with no humanity, but retain their military knowledge and training.

As for NPCs named after staff?  Good question, because that would be a fun and clever idea to do!

1 person likes this